Monday, August 07, 2006

i wish the world was flat like the old days...

... then i could travel just by folding a map. no more airplanes or speedtrains or freeways. there'd be no distance that could hold us back.

I'm back from Texas. I don't know what I was actually expecting when I went, but I've returned with an interesting feeling of mixed emotions. First of all, I am overly very extremely proud of our Airman Jones. I can't even describe it. After feeling proud, it was weird. I mean, Matt hadn't been able to think for himself, much less be himself, for six weeks. He was on edge and wearing glasses. And I stood there looking like a jackass not saying anything at first. I was just kind of shocked to actually be seeing him.

But the weirdness wore down and it got better. I got better at being myself around him and he got better at being himself again. It was nice.

Um, I don't really know how else to describe it either. It was just nice. And it was really only for two days, then we had to say goodbye again. But it's not as long this time. And he reminded me of that which made it better. I really only got sad when we were flying out of Texas because I realized that even though I was going home that he was not - Matt Jones would still not be in Columbia.

You know how some people make your life better just by being in it? That's how I feel when Matt is around - better. It's just a comfort. Weird, I know. It'll be okay once he's settled in Biloxi and everyone can talk to everyone again. I can even go visit eventually.

Mmm. And his family was really great. All of them. And at some points there were quite a bit of them. I've never really spent that much time with somebody else's family. Courtney and I had to get quite close, quite quickly even though a queen size bed is made for two. She's a great girl. We had so much to talk about and so much coffee to drink. Matt was right when he told me such amazing things about her. Mike was the great voice of reason and the bearer of coffee in the morning. I told him he was quite good at what he does. And Joanne, well, she loves her son very much and was more than excited to see him and talk to him and tell him all of my embarassing missing Matt stories. But it's ok. I've cycled through the shock and embarassment of my girliness being laid out. Plus, how can you not love a lady who gives you a bookmark with her son's face on it?!?

But, yeah. The trip was good and I'm kinda melancholy about being back. It's just a weird time between the end of summer and the beginning of school. There are birthdays, travel plans, cat neutering, wisdom teeth and weddings to be taken care of now. Life is in slow motion today, but it'll pick back up faster than I'd appreciate it to, I'm sure.

Julia had her baby. That's exciting. Alison got offered some jobs. That's exciting. She also has a tshirt made of math pick up lines. I think that means life is good. I'm at Jammin Java. Gonna do some pilates later and finish Diary by Chuck Pahlaniuk. Gonna drink some coffee. Gonna celebrate my birthday tomorrow...

Yup. Life is good.


1 comment:

Liza said...

Happy belated birthday, Erin! I'm sure it was luvverly...and I just realized you're less than a month older than my sister...freaky. :D Thanks for the pictures...I awwed a lot. Felt like I was there. Hee hee.