I took myself out to a movie tonight. And it was good - not just the movie, but the being an adult and being by myself and doing what I wanted and, at the same time, doing what I needed. After catching up for a bit with a beloved, long time friend, I saw 50/50 and ate the pumpkin pie poptarts I smuggled into the theater. The chat session and the film provided me with some excellent perspective. It's good to step back and take a look every so often.
There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.
It's for real TGIF for me. That's right. I have the day off. I guess that's not really what Friday is about for most people though. However, I am now aware that I will be out of the store for 5 days. Three are days off and two of them I'll be working offsite. Weird. But without further ado, here it is... Top 5 Friday! Take 2.
1. I very much enjoy being single and being in charge of my own life and making my own decisions, but sometimes I wish I already had my happily ever after - my someone to share responsibilities & coffee with. (There's an episode of Gilmore Girls about this, btw.) Anyway, so when I read this post by Meg Fee, I understood & appreciated it. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
2. Every so often I discover a new blog that I l.o.v.e. This week I fell in love at Une Deux Senses - a delightful little blog that has posts such as "Manicure Monday". Um, what's not to love? Food, Fashion, Music & Other Little Lovelies. Also, I stumbled upon an entry called Magic Coffee - I'm so in. It appears another Cali blog has stolen my heart. [Please note, I didn't enjoy the magic coffee. Not one bit. But I still enjoy this blog.]
3. Last week, I told you about Caffeinate Me. Well, that blog led to me to Just a Titch. I have to say, I really love Amy. I love how insightful she is about life. I love how dedicated she has become to her health. I love how she always asks the reader a question. I love how regularly she posts. Mostly I love how she posts the things I happen to be pondering in life or reminds me of the things I should be pondering. This particular post is about what she wants less/more of in her life. What do you want less and more of?
4. It's not even right how much I love the Joy the Baker Podcast. No seriously. I check my iTunes for updates almost daily (well, on Wed, Thurs and Fri) to see if Joy (the Baker) & Tracy (Shutterbean) have posted a new one. This is real life. It's ladies talking about road trips and food and boys and guilty pleasures and nail polish. They just hosted the awesome HomefriesU - Back to School. And, if I can break the bank when Spring Break rolls around, I'm all over. I can't wait.
5. The picture posted today is one of the best things I read this week. I love this quote. I love Amy Poehler in Parks & Recreation. I just love Parks & Recreation. I love the Apartment 513 blog. I love it all.
6. I need a large piece of art. I was thinking about doing a lyrical canvas. I stumbled upon this idea/picture on Pinterest and fell head over heels with the idea. Now all I need is the patience, supplies and the right song. Decisions.
7. I'm completely convinced that the way you make friends in life is by baking. Duh. Nothing says, "I'm trustworthy and good to be around" like a nice batch of cookies - I'm partial to making sea salted chocolate chip cookies. However, I think the best way to win over even your worst enemies is Pumpkin Nutella Bread. I know, shut the front door! Let's all bake.
I had a really awesome day off yesterday, but it looks like we've got a very busy week ahead of us. Work. Dinners. Shopping. Music. Friends. Let's see if we can get it all in, ok? Alright.
I finished the last episode from the Joy the Baker podcast today. I want to make candy cane infused vodka for Christmas. Whoa. Also, I want to make Pumpkin Pie Poptarts with Maple Glaze. Yum. Yum. Yum.
Look! I've got a mint plant that's thriving quite nicely. How about that? Thanks, Mom. I'm glad someone in this family has a green thumb.
There was an all new Gossip Girl on tonight. I was seriously jonesing for it. That's slightly embarrassing, but one hundred percent true.
And here is Monday's quote from Free People... "The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it - basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them." - Charles Bukowski
I don't particularly care that it's Friday - makes no difference to me. My work week goes Saturday - Friday and my days off were Monday & Tuesday. So, last Sunday was my Friday. Today is Wednesday in Erinland. Sort of. I have Sunday and Friday off this week, so we'll revisit this topic next Friday when it applies to me. I hope you enjoy your weekend, though!
I'm supposed to be at the gym right now, but I have noticed on a lot of blogs that people will post their favorite links from the week on Friday. I want to do that, too. So I am. And it's more important to me than cardio right now. Here is the inaugural post for my "Top 5 Friday"... Get excited.
(Also, the number 5 is ambiguous - it could be more or it could be less, but today it's inaugural and it's five, hence the name.)
1. Fall is upon us! And I've decided there is no better way to celebrate Fall mornings that with Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. That's right. I said Pumpkin Pie for breakfast. I quartered the recipe here for a single serving. I also substituted walnuts & brown sugar for pecans & maple syrup. (I hate pecans & I don't have any maple syrup.) Delish.
2. Here, in the world, in my life, a lot of us have been faced with unfortunate and/or difficult decisions/lessons. Sometimes the hardest thing & the right thing are the same. Well, that really sucks, but I found a bit of inspiration over here at Elise Blaha's text art project. I think it speaks volumes. Also, I love her Etsy Shop. I'll take a Goodness Book, please & thank you.
3. You know how people grow up? It's weird, right? Well, this guy (I wouldn't say we were friends - but we were in Yearbook together) I went to middle/high school with, Jeff, he grew up into a personal trainer and is actually quite motivating. He is in the middle of a cleanse and started a blog called Be Happy Live Fit. I recommend checking it out for some tips & tricks!
4. I don't know Andrea, but I know her blog Caffeinate Me and I l.o.v.e it. Really. The other day she posted her personal manifesto and it is spot on. Give it a read. Be a better person. Maybe write your own. Maybe just get addicted to her blog like I am. You choose.
5. And, finally, I have a new Netflix obsession. What? Felicity. Why? This blog post over at Champagne Bubbles spurred me into streaming action. I was on Team Noel for 3 or 4 episodes until I found out about Hannah. I mean, hello! And hey, this show premiered in 1998! They had curly fros, oversized sweaters, cassettes and pay phones still. I'm in for the long haul.
Also, I'm still listening to The Civil Wars. Please suggest something else to me.
I'm on day two of my days off. It's nice to every so often have two off in a row. You know, like a normal person. Not that I'm at all a normal person. I'm told daily that I'm not. How about that?
It hasn't stopped anyone from loving me, yet.
Oh hey. Spotify. Who loves it as much as me? I need an iPhone for streaming. Holy. I'll never have to buy cds again. I'm listening to The Civil Wars.
So, I've been in sort of a weird place... with the moving and the job and the roommate and the new animal and the not going to the gym and then the going to the gym. I felt like I was in shambles for a bit and like my life was not my own. I'm still getting comfortable again. Be patient with me.
I watched Something Borrowed last night. Um. She stole her best friend's fiancé, but also her best friend was not a very good best friend. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, so I was torn from thinking "this is awful" to thinking "aw, they've loved each other for so long." Love. It's a funny thing. I was in love once. And I love a lot of people. That's all I have to say about that.
The first two cookies were for work. For our most awesome meeting. It renewed my spirit.
And, finally, I'm thinking about spending more time here - on this blog. I don't expect for my blog to blow up and for me to retire on a blogger's life (I've read about those - they are hardcore and super busy!) but I enjoy what I do here. And I hope that you enjoy reading it. So, there's that.
[i have a tendency to be more productive if i make a list. and if that list is public, then i have even more drive to complete it... generally.]
pilates coffee w. rosie call courtney bake pumpkin bread target [basket, shampoo, ivory]
organize pantry hang mirror back up
empty laundry basket clean bathroom empty dishwasher vacuum bedroom
make lunch for the week read about osx lion
buy wallflowers for mom
ps. i'm listening to a lot of country music right now.
oh hi, did you want to know a little bit about me in a vague, but cute sort of way? oh okay. let's play that abc game that we all say is lame, but secretly love filling out & posting around our various social media sites. oh right. now it's out there. enjoy!
A. Age: 26 B. Bed size: Full C. Chore that you hate: Laundry. I'd rather clean my toilet. Meh. D. Dogs: I'm not really suited to care for animals, so my cocker spaniel, Lollipop, lives at my parent's house. She's cute. E. Essential start to your day: Coffee. F. Favorite color: Various shades of Green. And grey (but not gray). G. Gold or Silver: Silver, in general. Occasionally, I'll rock yellow gold, but it's rare. H. Height: 5'3" I. Instruments you play: I used to play a mean tambourine. No lie. I can also Magic GarageBand. J. Job title: I'm a Specialist. For real. K. Kids: I like them (when they're well behaved) but I REALLY like giving them back to their parents. L. Live: Charleston, SC M. Mother’s name: Kathleen (Sometimes I call her Kate) N. Nicknames: Peep. Double E. E Sqaured. E Ellis. NYC. Erin Gail. O. Overnight hospital stays: When I had mono in third grade, I was hospitalized for a week. Oy to the vey. P. Pet peeves: Alliteration. I'm kidding... Lying. People who do the same thing over & over expecting a different result. Driving slow in the left lane. When my Time Machine tells me I haven't backed up in "x" amount of days due to sheer laziness on my part. The use of the word "good" when it should be "well". But mostly lying in all of it's forms. Q. Quote from a movie: "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands. They just don't." R. Right or left handed: Righty. S. Siblings: One of each. Both younger. 24 & 11. U. Underwear: What about it? I have a lot. Some are fancy. Some are not. Sometimes I wear it. Sometimes I don't. Yeah, I said it. V. Vegetable you hate: Carrots if they're cooked. Yuck. And anything from a can is gross. W. What makes you run late: The interwebs/my lack of self control. X. X-Rays you’ve had: Um. My teeth? Y. Yummy food that you make: I made yummy homemade pizza tonight. But my coworker's really appreciate my skills when it comes to Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies. Z. Zoo animal: Giraffe. I like 'em. Their tongues are black & their necks are long.