Sunday, April 23, 2006

and go past the moon...

I smell like bar. I'm $13 poorer. And I have giant black X's on my hands that I can't get off. But it's okay...

They said it couldn't be done. They said it would never amount to anything. I don't know who they are, but I do know that they know nothing.

The first time I met Brian Whitman he handed me a mini disc with three songs on it and said "make sure you don't put it into your car stereo, it'll get stuck. Some people are having that problem." And all I could think was how dumb you had to be to do that and what kind of band hands out mini discs? I didn't care as long as they entered the Battle of the Bands so I had done something for CP.

I ended up wearing that disc out. And I wanted more. I had stumbled upon a diamond in the rough (called Isle 9 at the time) and was quite pleased. And was even more ecstatic when they won the BOB at the RH.

I Nine has come a long way since then. Two years later, I see my friends on stage doing what they love - the thing that they've dreamed. And they're amazing at it. Their music has evolved from cello pop to an electrified rock set that refuses to be ignored. The band members themselves have changed along with the music. These once starving young dreamers from Orangeburg are now J Records signed recording artists working hard for the sushi on their plates. I kid. But, seriously, these people continue to amaze me with their personalities and talent. I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the upcoming years. Until then - support I Nine. Buy their Live EP. Buy their full length this summer. Go check out their tour. See them at Bonnaroo. You'll thank me later.

What can I do? Pictures of you still make me smile.

No comments: