Monday, January 21, 2008

three and a half minutes felt like a lifetime

Dan spoke about hope last night. It was beautiful to think about the word and what it really is and really means.

And I remembered what a great community there is in Columbia and at The Shack. They're words and actions are so uplifting.

a conversation -
matt: it won't always be like this.
me: i hope not.
matt: rejoice in hope!

The opposite of hope is despair.

de·spair [di-spair] –noun
1.loss of hope; hopelessness.
2.someone or something that causes hopelessness: He is the despair of his mother.
–verb (used without object)
3.to lose, give up, or be without hope (often fol. by of): to despair of humanity.
–verb (used with object)
4.Obsolete. to give up hope of.

Sometimes I feel "despair" over circumstances, but what I often forget is that this is only the beginning of the rest of a beautiful plan and a beautiful life.

How do you really lose all hope? And then when your hope is gone - what happens? I don't understand. I've had the misfortune of having someone I've known for quite some time recently kill himself. And of having another family friend who lost his wife, baby daughter and unborn child. All because of despair. Two families torn apart in two days time.

I don't understand. I don't understand why people kill themselves. How do you get there?

There is nothing I can say to even begin forming the ideas and thoughts and questions and disbelief I'm currently experiencing. And I guess the only way to combat all of it is hope.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Remember, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."
-Andy Dufresne

"I am faithful enough to hope in love!" If you boiled down my understanding of Christianity into a single sentence, that would basically be it.