Monday, February 04, 2008

it hasn't felt like this before

Me: I'm not sure I'll ever have a career.
Matt: It's overrated.
"In his forty-odd years, Larus has earned a living not only as a chess player, but also as a journalist, a construction-company executive, a theologian, and now, a music producer. 'I know,' he says, sensing my disbelief. 'But that kind of resume is completely normal in Iceland.'

Having multiple identities (though not multiple personalities) is, he believes, conducive to happiness. This runs counter to the prevailing belief in the United States and other western nations, where specialization is considered the highest good. Academics, doctors and other professionals spend lifetimes learning more and more about less and less. In Iceland, people learn more and more about more and more."
[The Geography of Bliss]
Tonight I did yoga and ate sriracha sauce. Now I'm reading my book and drinking tea - ginseng peppermint. And listening to Joshua Radin. Ooo. We have acai (ah-sigh-ee) sorbet at the store.

I know it's easy to say, but it's harder to feel this way.
I miss you more than I should, than I thought I could.

3 comments:

RachelAdelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RachelAdelle said...

in my mind, careers tie you down. they create a path that you must stick to and leave less room for freedom. maybe one day you will want to be on a decided path, but i think it's a little early for that. be happy with the freedom your life allows because one day you'll miss it and ask for it back.

Anonymous said...

In Iceland, they speak Icelandic. I really fancy that for some reason.

Sigur Ros is from Iceland. They have a special place in my heart.

Iceland has a lot going for it. So do you, love.