Thursday, May 17, 2007

the end of fear is where we begin

I wish, wishing for you to find your way and I'll hold on for all you need. That's all we need to say.

I'm in Charleston and I've actually been pretty busy since I got here. There is a lot to be done for all sorts of things. I want things to settle down and for me to have a normal schedule so I can make normal plans with people and keep in normal touch with all of the people who need to be kept in touch with.

At times I feel like no one really notices that I'm gone - that people made a big deal about leaving and then don't care. Then there are times where I don't notice that I'm gone. This all leaves me very confused and slightly upset at the thought of not being missed. But also slightly hopeful. And sort of worried. So really I don't know what I feel.

With that in mind, things here keep getting easier. They don't seem so strange, I suppose. It's like it's all coming back to me and I'm discovering new things too. I went to the ICCB plant today and made some mildly disappointing latte art while trying new chai. I saw a wild turkey on the side of the road and went to Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island and bought fresh produce at a market which was also on the side of the road. Then I wondered what it will be like when I don't live in South Carolina anymore. And then I got lost downtown and found a cupcake store I would like to visit. I also decided I would like to live down there despite the potential flooding.

And I'm really grateful for Kt. I hope she knows that. I should probably tell her.

Now it's raining which is good because maybe it will make some of the forest fire smoke disappear and we can all breathe easier. And speaking of the climate... Live Earth: For a Climate in Crisis.

(Ok. The first picture is of the Wentworth Mansion - namesake of my very first ipod. I took it with my phone while driving. Unsafe. And the second picture is of a tshirt kt made me. She's very amazing.)

There's nothing we can do about the things we have to live without. The only way to see again is let love in.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin!
i love you
and miss you a lot. and that might not mean a lot b/c we didn't get to see eachother much or talk a lot.
but i want you to know that okay?
okay.
BTW i got the job at the bean, go me, i made my first lattè today, and my first frio. yay me!

alison said...

Don't notice that you're gone?? NYC yo' crazy.



We'll officially live in the same city again in three days. Watch out.

Anonymous said...

I missed you so much I couldn't even wait until the beginning of June to come see you. But then, we missed each other as I came down last night. Yup. Still miss you tonight.

RachelAdelle said...

when i drive past henderson st, i miss you.
when i go to any coffee shop in the columbia area, i miss you.
when i walk thru the horseshoe, i miss you.
when i went to marble slab, i missed you.
when grey's came on, i missed you.
when i had a problem, i missed you.
when other people moved away, i missed you.
when i went to lexington, i missed you.
when i went to the mccutchen house, i missed you.
when i get off work, i miss you.
everytime i look at the the blueberry bagels, i miss you.
it is noticed that you're gone my friend. this city is a little duller for me...

Courtney said...

in addition to what rachel said:
when i make espresso, i miss you.
when it is wednesday, i miss you.
when i am in columbia, i miss you.
when i do shack things, i miss you.
when i think about you, hear your name, read your blog, send you text messages, talk about charleston, and basically exist, i miss you.

Anonymous said...

I miss you a lot, but I'll leave a comical abbreviated version: when my bathroom doesn't work, I miss you.

Amberjade said...

Erin- I know we don't know eachother well, and it might weird you out that I stumbled upon your blog in the big Lexington/Wired Bean Blog-O-Sphere, but I'm moving to Charleston in July, and if you ever need anything or want to hang out, Courtney Jones will give you my number. :)
-Amberjade