Thursday, November 13, 2008

it's not about geography or happenstance

You need to fly and take a chance. You don't need to soar to emptiness or float on high and forever dance alone.

The ugly reality about going to work at 7am is that you have to get your tired ass out of bed and be at work at 7am.

However, there is also the beautiful truth to being at work at 7am. First, traffic is practically non-existent which means you don't have to leave quite so early to get to your destination. Second, if you're an eager beaver (which hardly ever applies to me) then you get the freshest bagels and the first pot of coffee. Also, you're normally done with work by three in the afternoon which gives you ample time to still enjoy daylight and the company of others.

The pros clearly outweigh the cons.

Yet, I continue to loathe working at 7am, but that may have something to do with the 115 boxes of shipment I had to move by myself this morning.

It was nice though to be done with work early in the day and to be able to go home and do my accounting stuff for the store and not get stuck in 5 o'clock traffic.

I took the rest of my afternoon by foot (since I'm living downtown at the moment). I went down to Fifty-Two Five and bought the new Rachael Yamagata cd which I'm currently enjoying. She does a duet with Ray Lamontange - it's lovely. And I went to Lesene to pick up a card to send to Morocco. Of course, Caviar and Bananas was included in the mix. I ordered some mediterranean tuna salad and roasted beet/goat cheese salad. And a diet coke. Just a plain diet coke.

The problem with the plain diet coke is that it's not what I wanted. I want diet cherry coke, but I can't freaking find it anywhere. I don't want a ton. I just want a 20oz bottle, but evidently that's just too much to ask.

I don't ever drink soda either, so this is a really big deal for me.

And now I'm back at the house waiting for friends. I think this might be the way life was intended to be lived. With diet coke and good music and good friends.

Of course, life is not so simple. And cars get broken and people get laid off. And it's hard, but we get through it. Maybe it's easier because I believe in something bigger - a greater cause. Or maybe it's more difficult because I do and I'm put under attack so (so) often.

I'm not sure. But "just because I'm losing doesn't mean I'm lost." Sounds silly, but it's true.

I'm not gonna live for you or die for you. I won't do anything anymore for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes! i always wonder why i hate the early morning opening shift... when i am off by three with the night off. but still, it fills me with dread to have to wake up in the dark. i can't figure it out.
also! i have been feeling the same things...bad things keep happening in the world and you do feel kind of put under attack, in a way. i know what you mean. also! octane was delicious! thank you.