Sunday, May 12, 2013

Today is Mother's Day. I'm not a mother, so I'm no expert on the matter, but I do have a mother, so I suppose I'm allowed some say on the holiday.

My relationship with my mother hasn't always been what it is now. (The now being one of my closest friends and confidantes.)  She had to overcome a lot of her own struggles before she could help us overcome any of our own. There were times when I thought I hated her. (Using the "h word" is the quickest way to break a mother's heart.) There were times when I thought she was magical creature sent to make life easy. (Something akin to unicorn, but in a practical, opposable thumbs sort of way.) Growing up, well... It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I mean, really, we have we been through some stuff. (Together, of course, because that's how mothers and daughters go through things.) Happiness. Tears. Stress. Graduations. Loves. Lost loves. New loves. Rants. Responsibility. Traumas. Death. You name it. We've seen and/or lived it.

I realized today that I can't yet fathom what any of those things feel like as mother. It's an intense concern, love and binding that I haven't yet experienced. But, the more I love my fiancé and the more I understand what that love means, the more I understand all of the decisions and choices my mother made in the past - for herself, for her husband, for her family.

This morning, I was reading Proverbs 31 and it made me realize even more how much my mom has done and continues to do for her family and the people she meets. Being a wife and mother is the most important and difficult job that you can take on in life! so.much.responsibility.to.everyone.

Today, let us celebrate those brave and wonderful women who raised us! Their love for us knows no bounds.

To my mom - I love you oh so well. And I am oh so glad to have learned life & love from you. I hope I am able to impact this world even half as much as you have.

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." (Proverbs 31)

Today is Day 81 of 100 Days of Blogging.

1 comment:

Craig Archer said...

What a wonderful blog.