Out the Wazoo.
That's the name of the "series" we're doing at Kinetic :: Crosstowne's 18-30 age small group. I like it. Both the "series" and the group. I don't always talk, but I'm always listening and then I usually share it later with someone. Or with you, my devoted blog readers. So, I like Out the Wazoo because it's a mashup of topics. Wednesday, we talked about things marriage is not...
Marriage is not a cure of loneliness. Marriage is not a means for a makeover. Marriage isn't all about sex. Those are interesting things to think about because those three reasons are probably three of the biggest reasons why people get married. Love, of course, but to cure or fix something in their lives by adding another person.
"Don't be in a hurry to add another person to your life."
I'm pretty selfish. I don't know how to take care of my dog, much less a husband.
We also discussed Things You Should Do Before You're Thirty:
1. Lose your stupid friends. - Paul tells us in the Bible to arouse each other from inactivity and provoke one another to love and good works. Makes sense, right? So, why do we hang out with people who hold us back? It's time to grow up.
2. Read Books. - Not just for fun, but books that will develop you.
Right now, I'm reading The Happiness Project. It's a book that breaks down daily life behaviors into months as this women tries to become happier. She's not unhappy. She just wants to spend more time focusing on things that are important. I'm only in February and I've learned a lot from her already.
3. Write down your GOALS. - Next year. Next month. Next week. This one is hard for me. Personal life goals. Spiritual goals. Volunteer goals. This is one I'm struggling with.
4. Find a parent/mentor that you can ask for criticism. - What do you think I lack and what can I do better? It needs to be someone you trust and feel safe with, but someone you know will be honest with you.
5. Accept Hardship. - It happens to everyone. Try to be glass half full about it.
6. Cut the cynicism. - Don't roll your eyes at other people and their lives. AND I QUOTE, "If someone loves Dave Matthews Band, let them love Dave Matthews Band. It turns out their last album wasn't actually that bad." Oy with the poodles. This also means, if someone doesn't love DMB, then let them not love DMB. Oy with the poodles, again!
7. Volunteer. - Do something for somebody else. For free. This is hard for me too because, again, I'm selfish and I like my free time.
This was by no means the end of the list, but it certainly gave me quite a bit to think about.
My life is good. I like it. I've been working well at the store with my new manager and sales lead. I've been going to the gym 4 times a week. Drinking coffee. Hanging out with my neighbor - going kayaking and watching the Gamecocks. I've spent time with my family and friends. I've started looking for an apartment with plans to move by the end of the year if I can find an available place where I want to move. I've been reading and continuing to watch LOST. I'm going to Columbia soon to see my friends. My life is happy. But what is it's meaning? What are my goals?
I'm just saying. It's a lot to think about. Your twenties prepare you for the rest of your life. I have five more years to do it right. And I want to do it right.