Wednesday, January 11, 2012

via instagram
When I spend time with my dad, we always have thought provoking conversation. He normally doesn't give a shit about things - he'll tell you that - so when he feels strongly about a topic, our discussion is always animated.

Tonight, we went to dinner downtown and talked about relationships. I guess more specifically past relationships. And we talked about how much things hurt when they happen and how much they hurt when they follow you. And the thing is that you never know how long they will follow you. That's the part that sucks. Sometimes it just takes time - in my case nearly three years - or it just takes the right person to get you out of the hole you dug for yourself or a little bit of both.

But eventually you get to the point where there is no longer any regret. 

Do you wish things had worked out? Of course. Life is always easier when things work out. But do you wish things were different now? No. All the time and the people and the experiences have made you who you are and you've learned from everything. It was just ridiculously painful along the way.

That's the way it works. We both agreed on that.

I like being able to have these kind of real conversations with my dad. We were never close when I was younger, but the more we talk about life, the more I realize I'm a lot like him - I just dust my house more than he does.

Growing up is crazy.

Even the stars they burn. Some even fall to the earth. We've got a lot to learn.

No comments: